navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Spare a Thought For Your Dad
Open Poetry #42
Post A Reply Post New Topic Spare a Thought For Your Dad Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LindsayP
Member Elite
since 2007-07-28
Posts 3410
Australia, Victoria

0 posted 2008-04-10 12:39 PM

Spare a Thought For Your Dad

Most poets write about their wonderful Mum
And I’m sure that it makes them feel glad,
But it takes two to tango for the desired out come,
So please spare a thought for your dad..

Many times he’s forgotten and classed as a sinner
And I’m afraid that sometimes that is the case,
But think of the Dads who are the bread-winner,
There are so many that you just couldn’t replace.

I think again of my Dad when I was a child
And his love that was ever on call,
A man of calm disposition, he seldom got wild
But he would brook no disobedience at all.

So long as we always done what we were told,
There was never a harsh word to embrace,
But if we wavered and became over- bold ,
We had to suffer the consequence of disgrace.

When those teenage years at last came around,
I suffered that disease that affects nearly all teens,
It’s called oppositeitis and causes many a frown,
As teenagers strive to live above their means.

And now that I’m older & much wiser I hope,
I thank my Dad for his discipline and respect ,
I have written this story from the slippery slope
Of my coming old age, and to what I expect.

Not the Man He Used to Be

I look at the clock on the wall. It’s almost knock off time. I can’t go straight home tonight. I have to call in and see my dad. He’s in an old people’s nursing home and with a heavy heart I think of the man he used to be. Strong, reliable and honest, with a wonderful sense of humour. A loving father and husband and a friend to all who knew him. Now as he slips into his twilight years, dementia has crept upon him and he lives in a world of shifting shadows, sudden bursts of sunshine and dark threatening clouds. I pull up outside the home and with a great feeling of sorrow, I make my way inside. I wonder how I’ll find him today.
      He stands there in a doorway and wonders where he is. He looks down the passageway to the left and sees people sitting in lounge chairs, and then thinks, I don’t know them. Who are they? Then he looks to the right and sees more strangers seated in more chairs around the lounge. Puzzled, he pauses and wonders why he’s here. Then a nurse comes and takes him by the hand and leads him to a chair.
‘You sit here Dave, just take it easy and don’t worry about a thing,’ she says in her cheerful voice. Bewildered he does as he’s told and stares vacantly at the people around him. Then through the mist that floats before him he sees his wife, that’s right, she’s getting his dinner. It must be dinnertime, he’s starting to feel hungry but then his memory fades again and all he sees are the clouds closing in, blocking out that memory that had been almost within his grasp.
       His brain is desperately searching the files in his mind but a sense of frustration overwhelms him, and his language is spoken in terms that none can comprehend. Then suddenly this stranger is pulling up a chair beside him. Who is he, what does he want? ‘Hello Dad, how are you feeling today,’ I ask him in gentle voice. ‘You should be outside in the sun; it’s such a beautiful day outside’. Dad’s face is creased in a puzzled frown as he looks at this man that is seated beside him, then slowly his face breaks into a smile, as faint recognition starts to break through the haze of his mind. He searches for a name to put to the face but it’s like trying to grasp a wisp of smoke, and then that too is gone.
      ‘I’m your son Lindsay, you remember me Dad, don’t you. I was in here to see you yesterday, you knew me then.’ Then as a fleeting glimpse of memory reaches his befuddled brain, this bewildered old man grasps me by the hand and hangs on as if he will never let it go. ‘How are you Lins, I’m glad you’ve come, I’ll go and pack my bag and come home with you now.’ I feel overwhelmed by a feeling of great sadness and gaze lovingly at my poor old Dad, and realize that he has a problem that no doctor can mend.  
‘I’ve got to go and do some shopping first Dad and then I’ll come back and get you. You stay here till then and don’t worry about a thing.’
       Then I think of the good times that I shared with my Dad. The football matches that we went too, screaming our heads off for Collingwood, the absolute joy when we won and the complete dejection when we lost. Those wonderful trips up to Deniliquin on the Edwards River where we caught all those big Murray cod and all the rabbiting trips up into the Bendowie ranges. Those times when the ferrets stayed in the burrows and we had to dig them out. Yes, they were the days. As I sit here now and gaze into his face my heart is nearly breaking in two, and I realize the day will come when I too will change places with my Dad, and my son will come and visit me in some old people’s home and the age old story will be repeated once again.                                         Lindsay P Wilson

© Copyright 2008 Lindsay P Wilson - All Rights Reserved
Robert E. Jordan
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-25
Posts 8541
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 posted 2008-04-10 01:12 AM

LindsayP,

You were lucky to have such a good relationship with your father, and he was lucky to have such a good relationship with you.

Nice poem.

Bobby

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
2 posted 2008-04-10 01:22 AM

Your Dad sounds like...well, kind of like you, Lindsey. This is a sad part of life that we all have to deal with but at least you have good memories of your Dad. I agree with you that there are some great Dad's out there who deserve more credit than they get.
                                  Ida

HopeS
Member Elite
since 2000-12-22
Posts 4596
Perth Western Australia
3 posted 2008-04-10 01:38 AM

My son works in a nursing home and sees Dads like this this daily , thankfully you visit , some residents have no one at all and my son sits with them after hours and keeps them company    

Hope

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2008-04-10 05:05 AM

Fine writing...James
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
5 posted 2008-04-10 11:00 AM

my dad was a Navy man...lots of pain there...mom killed herself when I was ten...he gave her the gun...

but I'm glad for those who have good memories of their fathers

I don't and won't spare any thought or prayer or anything but disdain and hatred

effjayel
since 2007-09-30
Posts 1474
At the Crossroads of Infinity
6 posted 2008-04-10 04:53 PM

It comes to us all Linds, at least you get to spend some time with him & be able to adjust gradually for when he is no longer there. I never had the chance to say good bye to either of my folks. My Dad died in my arms a half hour after the Dr told me he had not got long. I had to break into my Mothers house the week before christmas and found Her sitting on the edge of the bed still warm. I would have loved the chance to tell them how much I loved them & said goodbye properly...That being said, I loved this piece as I do all your work. You are one special guy & a great son..take care,  John  
LindsayP
Member Elite
since 2007-07-28
Posts 3410
Australia, Victoria
7 posted 2008-04-10 09:41 PM

John, I feel very humble when I read your response for I'm just a very ordinary sort of chap who came from a loving family and who has a loving family of my own. My son and four daughters all come to see me regularly when I am often in hospital. It gives me great pleasure to know that I am much closer now to my son than I have ever been. I do feel for you John that you didn't get the chance to say goodbye to your parents but that's the way it is sometimes, we wake up when it's too late.
Thanks so much for your generous response.

Lindsay

LindsayP
Member Elite
since 2007-07-28
Posts 3410
Australia, Victoria
8 posted 2008-04-10 10:02 PM

Bobby, thank you so much for your kind reponse, yes I was very fortunate in having
a great relationship with my dad, the same as I have with my son.

Thank you Ida, yes there are a lot of good dads out there who don't get many accolades.
I think in most cases it's a matter of reaping what you sow, Like father,like son

Hope, you are very fortunate in having such
a compassionate son but I'm sure that it's the way you have brought him up. Thanks so much for you kind response.

James thank you too for for your reponse
it is always appreciated.

Passing Shadows, I am so sorry to hear about your unhappy childhood and I really feel for you. But carrying hatred in your heart does you more harm than anyone else.
My prayers are with you, God Bless.  

Larrysmom
since 2008-04-03
Posts 533
Florida, USA
9 posted 2008-04-10 11:05 PM

Your beautiful poem and story have brought me to tears… This is gorgeous and so very full of love from your heart to your dad and I can feel it through your incredible words.

Tammy<333

LindsayP
Member Elite
since 2007-07-28
Posts 3410
Australia, Victoria
10 posted 2008-04-12 12:06 PM

Tammy, I'm sorry that my poem has brought you to tears but I hope that you had a

great love for your Dad. To me the most wonderful thing in life is being a part of

a loving wonderful family. Thank you Tammy
for your very kind response.

Lindsay

Roniece Dawson-Bruce
Member Ascendant
since 2000-01-29
Posts 5689
Sydney, Australia
11 posted 2008-04-13 06:57 AM

Lindsay... I can sense the great love you have for your Dad... I lost my Dad when I was only 26yrs old, still remember it vividly...still think of him and my Mom who I lost when I was 32yrs, every day I breathe... this is a beautiful, heartfelt writing and I thank you sharing..  love RDB

Be kind at heart....for everyone you meet has their own battle to fight.........

simon
since 2008-01-14
Posts 440
London, England
12 posted 2008-04-13 07:33 AM

Lindsey,

I agree, dads tend to get a hard time generally in literature and this is a good place to begin to redress. Enjoyed...

Honeybunch
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-29
Posts 7115
South Africa
13 posted 2008-04-13 07:46 AM

Lindsay - To be as one who comes from a loving family is, in my opinion, quite extraordinary.  You received a gift that is immeasurable in extent and that then certainly makes you no ordinary guy.  A kind and touching tribute to your dad!

Helen

LindsayP
Member Elite
since 2007-07-28
Posts 3410
Australia, Victoria
14 posted 2008-04-13 10:39 PM

To my very dear PIP friends, Roniece, Simon and Helen, I treasure your very kind

thoughts on my poem. I hope you all too have a genuine loving family. It makes life

so much more enjoyable. Thanks to each of you and I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Lindsay

Earl Brinkman
since 2010-03-03
Posts 1183
Osaka, Japan
15 posted 2010-11-25 05:17 PM

I agree that Dads everywhere are special.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #42 » Spare a Thought For Your Dad

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary