navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Drywall and Paint
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Drywall and Paint Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Felix
since 1999-12-15
Posts 78
USA

0 posted 2001-01-08 11:58 PM

Drywall and Paint

think of all the stories
walls could tell
if they could talk

of maddening love
discovered at last

of happy families growing up
of sad families growing apart

beautiful music

funny movies

walls hold paintings of priceless value
theyve watched the hands of
O'Keeffe
Van Gogh
Michealangelo

theyve been blasted by war
watched a mother
hold her dying child
or give life anew

walls have seen
all those things
we cannot
or dont want to

Did you ever read about a frog who dreamed of being a king, and then became one?

- Neil Diamond

© Copyright 2001 Stacey Sutton - All Rights Reserved
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
1 posted 2001-01-09 12:22 PM

Felix:

I like your title and your idea but I think both outshined the delivery.  I think you could be more descriptive in describing the music, the happy times, the funny movies, perhaps throw in some bad times, describe the paintings and then, just as a suggestion, draw more attention to the irony that the "witnesses" of all of these events are were incapable of seeing what transpired in the first place.

Just a few suggestions.  Again, I liked the idea.  I just think it could be fleshed out a bit more.  Thanks for the read.

Jim

Mendy
since 2000-11-11
Posts 34

2 posted 2001-01-09 04:32 PM

I'm not much of a critic but I too think it's an Idea that can be carried on there are many other things walls do physical walls, mental walls and so many things they see. I have found that describing the most ordinary things can explode into creativity.

Keep on

if it is true that the world talks toomuch then let us all keep quiet and hear the eloquence of silence - Richard Ntiru

Pearls_Of_Wisdom
since 2000-09-02
Posts 175

3 posted 2001-01-09 05:22 PM

Hi Felix,

I agree that the poem seemed simple, but I found it an enjoyable read nonetheless. The title alone really caught my attention, as I'd never seen the word "drywall" in a poem and I wanted to see what you meant by it. Did you intend it to be simple? If you did - I just guessing here - but it seems to fit. I mean, we see the world in a simple way, from our own limited perspectives, whereas walls can see so much more, so we can only guess at what they'd see.

Ashley

Felix
since 1999-12-15
Posts 78
USA
4 posted 2001-01-10 11:00 PM

My original intent for this poem was to make it simple so that it got the reader thinking for themselves...but...when I was finished with the last line I reread the whole thing a felt it wasn't portraying the orignal emotion/intent I started out with.  I am still working on it and hopefully will edit it soon.  My normal style of writing is to portray as much as possible in the fewest words possible...so I have a hard time adding more words...I'm working on it!!

Thank you for your opinions...in a whole semester of poetry writing I couldn't get one true opinion from anybody...not even the prof.  I like constructive criticism...it's hard to find people who give it truthfully....thanks again.

Did you ever read about a frog who dreamed of being a king, and then became one?

- Neil Diamond

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
5 posted 2001-01-11 07:41 AM

Felix:

Don't confuse detail with wordiness.  I think your "style" that you mention is the write approach ... you want your poetry to be concise.  This doesn't mean a poem must be short, but, rather, that every word should count.  

For example, rather than say, "watched the hands of Van Gogh ...", perhaps you could say something along the line of "watch Van Gogh's sunflowers grow."  This, in my opinion, is a sharper image (for someone familiar with Van Gogh's work) and it really doesn't take much more space from the page.

Just a suggestion.  Thanks for posting.

Jim

J.L. Humphres
since 2000-01-03
Posts 201
Alabama
6 posted 2001-01-11 09:01 PM

Felix,
   I agree with everyone that this is a great idea and also that it could and should be elaborated upon. But hey, you've got the hard part licked-- the idea.  

J.L.H.

Jason
God is a warm whisper from the cool void.
Jack Kerouac

Raj_Yura
since 2001-01-08
Posts 13

7 posted 2001-01-12 05:34 PM

Hi ! Felix
    Your poem has evoked some feeling in me
as far the wall as witness to history is
concerned. It has given me a new idea for a
poem. Thanks !. Your idea is good . i liked
it but i think u finshed it to soon

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Drywall and Paint

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary