navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » "Poet" Luck
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic "Poet" Luck Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2003-08-15 09:44 PM

How about a little mechanism that might generate random poems or random lines of poems from the Member archives of Passions?  Perhaps we could set up a submission for poets to add their favorite poems and lines into a plenteous potluck for those moments when someone needs a very urgent offhand spark of inspiration, word of wisdom, or touch of comfort without having to to scour and delve all abroad--so they will be able find it right promptly.  Would anyone else like to see something like this?

[This message has been edited by Essorant (08-16-2003 12:09 AM).]

© Copyright 2003 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2003-08-23 08:24 AM

Our "Smart Search" does nearly what you're asking - It's just not random...
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
2 posted 2003-08-23 12:52 PM

I guess....but that still involves putting words in and searching...
I sort of meant a little "window" that might display a randomized poem or line offhand    A poem or a special line from a poem to be in the spot light for a while

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2003-08-23 01:45 PM

Not entirely clear what you mean?

Your use of the word "generate" suggests one of those computer-written verses, composed of various lines from different sources. Ain't never gonna happen, as I don't think computers write very good poetry. Quite the contrary, I think such attempts give new meaning to the "GIGO" adage.

I think it almost equally unlikely we will ever display "lines of poetry" randomly. A computer has no idea which lines are relevant to the theme of the poem and, taken out of context, I suspect they would be unfair to the poet as often as not.

I have, for a very long time, played with the concept of a "Poem of the Day" feature, though I doubt it's exactly what you had in mind. My idea is to syndicate the random selection to other web sites. Someone with a web site, big or tiny, inserts a line of JavaScript on their home page and every day our server sends them a different poem. If you look at our front page (at http://piptalk.com ), that's much the way we are able to pull in poetry-related news links. It would obviously open our writers to a much wider audience, and the only cost would be my time to program it. The ultimate goal, for me, would be to syndicate to sites that are NOT typically oriented towards poetry, as a way to expose more people to our collective talent. Think big for a moment. Google. Yahoo. Or one of a dozen big on-line newspapers. Get people to actually read some of our poets and they WILL learn to love poetry.

There's a few technical hurdles, and whole passel of logistical ones. But, uh, soon ...

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
4 posted 2003-08-24 07:38 PM

O I wouldn't want to see computer generated "composings"...I Just meant perhaps the computer could generate  the select favorite piece, stanza or line that poets might submit into a database within a certain time frame or something, and display it as the hourly, daily, weekly "spotlight"
Anyway, I think the JavaScript idea sounds excellent...I hope it works out well.

[This message has been edited by Essorant (08-24-2003 07:41 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » "Poet" Luck

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary