navwin » Discussion » Poetry Challenge! » Need Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Poetry Challenge!
Post A Reply Post New Topic Need Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lisann
since 2001-01-31
Posts 350

0 posted 2001-07-21 11:16 PM

Hi everyone.  I am in need of my fellow poets help.  Usually I can write poetry fairly easy----I just write what is in my heart.  However,  for this particular one  I am having an incredibly difficult time and am requesting the help of all of you.  
   Let me explain.   I grew up within the Children's Aid Society,  living in several different foster homes and group homes-----never quite finding a "family".  However,  Now, as an adult-------I have found my "heart family"  with sevral of my colleagues from work.  One of which is Jane. (i've written a couple of poems about her on this site).  Anyway,  They are not my family by blood,  but they are by the choice of my heart.  I'd like to write a poem for them but I'm not quite sure how to get it started.  

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Thank you all in advance.
Lisann

© Copyright 2001 Lisann - All Rights Reserved
rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
1 posted 2001-07-21 11:30 PM

I know you are on the right track. What's in your heart. I feel that you are blessed and then they are blessed too. For you seem to be a most loving person. To be able to choose someone as you have by the heart is such a gift in itself. I think you should write about what "Hits home to you most" and what "Sings to your heart". Only you know those little things that made you close to this person. I'll be happy to help in any way.  
Sincerely,
Rwood

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
2 posted 2001-07-21 11:34 PM

Just start writing.. you may be surprised.

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

Lisann
since 2001-01-31
Posts 350

3 posted 2001-07-21 11:53 PM

Thanks guys.  I know that I can write a poem.  And I know that the end result will be exactly as I intended for it to be-------my problem however, is that I don't know how to start it.  I'm having difficulties coming up with the first one or two stanzas.
SmittenKitten
since 2001-06-20
Posts 1131
where the sky and horizon meet
4 posted 2001-07-22 01:55 AM

Try just some verbal diarrhea...write out whatever comes to mind when you think of those people, not worrying about structure or form or any transistions...just raw thoughts from your mind to your fingertips.  Then you can at least have something to work from when you go about writing the actual poem with form and structure and all that in mind!    hope this helps!  
~Krista

Logan
since 2001-05-28
Posts 1641
Arkansas
5 posted 2001-07-22 02:24 AM

A good start would to me, be something like this..
A family of choice is made up of people like you...a natural family doesn't have to be true..you have given time and love to let me be a part of you....etc etc..hope this helps a little bit...gentle smile

Saunni
since 2000-07-11
Posts 1777
West Virginia
6 posted 2001-07-22 02:32 AM

I agree with, Logan, and also mention how fortunate you are that they are in your life, and being thankful you were blessed with them. Good luck.

Sauni @~~~>~~

The Sun Shines
Not On Us, But In Us
The River Flows Not Past,
But Through Us

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2001-07-22 02:33 AM

Hi...Why does it have to be a poem, not that I don't love poetry, but your heart family are individuals, each different, and I am sure there is something you love about each.  May I suggest you buy some extremely nice stationery and sit down and write them each a heartfelt letter containing in it, those qualities about them that have enriched your life?  There is nothing quite like receiving something hand-written, old-fashioned by today's standards, but nonetheless, elegant, and meaningful.  You could do a very small poem, perhaps two stanzas at the bottom that would be to all, but this is way you love to each is personalized.   Just my thoughts on your dilemma.  Good luck.

~ You do this dance only once ~

1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
8 posted 2001-07-22 04:38 AM

how's this?????? for a start........

a past of questions and loneliness
you have melted and faded
the family I needed and wanted
through your love has been created

in a past of no choice
I now choose you, with my heart
never before knowing where I belonged
forever with you I am part

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2001-07-22 07:02 AM

Lisann, as this question is not a poem, but more of a discussion/question, I am moving it over to another Forum.  But you have received a lot of good feedback from the folks here, and that is something to start on!  Good luck!
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2001-07-22 07:07 AM

Lisann, directly after moving this over to Challenges, I saw this thread
/pip/Forum7/HTML/000373.html

which may be of some help to you in this very quest.

Look it over.  It may provide some ideas!

Good luck!  

Lisann
since 2001-01-31
Posts 350

11 posted 2001-07-22 11:35 AM

Thank you very much for your replies.  I had a hard time finding my post but now that I have I have something to work with.  Thanks for your help.  I'll let you all read my final print when It is done.
Lisann
since 2001-01-31
Posts 350

12 posted 2001-07-22 04:21 PM

This is what I have so far

You are my family------
Not by marriage,
adoption,
or birth,
But by the choice of my heart.
I have a far greater capacity to love
Because of the love that you impart.
Now I'm stuck again.

Lisann
since 2001-01-31
Posts 350

13 posted 2001-07-22 04:59 PM

Alright everyone.  Opinions needed.  Does this next line fit in with the poem or not....

You are a part of my family
Not by marriage,
Adoption
Or birth
But by the choice of my heart.
I now have a far greater capacity to love
Because of the love that you impart.
Illuminations surround me
Tears of disbelief,
I've discovered a love inside
Where there had once only been grief.

What do you think?  Does the additional line fit with my poem or should I change it?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Poetry Challenge! » Need Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary